Woodford County Democrats
Founder's Day: Dinner with Democrats
Our annual Founder's Day Dinner is Tuesday, September 19. For $40 each or $500 for a table of 8, come support our local party, hear speeches from Democrats running for governor, and meet Democrats from Woodford and around the area! See meetings below for more information.
Want to run for office?
Did you know that county board seats are up for election in 2018? There are 15 board members for only 3 districts, and no Democratic representation right now. But the ballot is coming faster than people expect: This summer 2017 is the time to decide. If you want to learn how to run, contact us any time.
213 days without impeachment • 210 days until you can vote them out for it
If you were wondering if there were Democrats, centrists, and progressives in Woodford County: Now you know! We all do better, when we all do better. Click in any title below to expand it and get more information:
Register to vote!
If you're a U.S. citizen, not in jail, and will be at least 18 years old on election day, you have the right to vote. You should register to vote now, and again whenever you move. You can register online, by mail, or in person:
Everything above can also be used to update your address when you move.
Be a paid Election Judge
Election judges sit at the polls, get paid $100-$160 per election day, and get to meet all the voters at the precinct. There are usually only 1 or 2 election days per year, and election judges serve from 5am to around 8pm. Woodford County needs more judges! Want to know more? Contact us for election judge info.
Are you sure you're a Republican?
- Does it bug you that adult minimum wage today ($8.25/hour) is less than teenage kids made in the 1950s ($11/hour in 2016 dollars)?
- Does it bug you that American society has been rearranged to be "too busy" to provide for the mission you were raised to believe in, to feed the starving, cure the sick, and teach the masses?
- Does it bug you that some politicians are so twisted inside that they say they "condemn" another politician they know is bad for America, but still "endorse" him/her at the same time?
- Does it bug you when someone says that America's better off when fewer people are allowed to vote?
Most of America's traditional values — such as a family-supporting wage for 40 hours/week of work; the moral examples of curing the sick and feeding the needy; the drive to make every child into a responsible, learned, contributing adult even if the parents weren't; the basic principle that no innocent American citizen should be denied their vote — are all Democratic principles. If this sounds more like you, get it touch with us and we'd love to talk to you, or just come to our meetings (below) and see for yourself.
About the Woodford Democrats
The Woodford County Democratic Central Committee (WCDCC) encourages local involvement in political activities, based on Democratic principles. You do not have to join any political organization to come to most Woodford Democrat meetings or activities. We provide election oversight by recruiting precinct committeepersons and election judges. We endeavor to assist and recruit candidates and volunteers who will put the average citizen's concerns above special interests that enrich the few at the expense of the many. Our guiding principle is: We all do better, when we all do better.
Next meetings & events
(meet Democrats, talk politics, do business — and sometimes eat)
- Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 6:30pm meal, 7pm meeting, location to be decided: You're invited — no Democratic "membership" required!
- Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 6pm, Cerf Center, Eureka College: Founder's Day fundraiser dinner. Cocktails, dinner, and speeches and mingling with gubernatorial candidates and others. $50 at the door, or tickets in advance for $40/person, $500 for table of 8, or $1000 for 2 tables. Your contribution goes to our own local events and locally-decided campaign funding! Contact us to register in advance or send a check to the Woodford County Democrats at our mailing address.
Calendar: lots more Democratic & civic events
Below, blue indicates Democratic and progressive events, and orange indicates other civic events.
For people who like to include calendars on their devices: here's the iCal (.ics) feed for Democratic events and iCal (.ics) feed for civic events.
Help get it done
Woodford County Democrats are locally controlled and organized, and get very little support from the state and national party. So your donations support local decisions on Democratic issues, organizing, and candidates, including local and county Democratic candidates and campaigns. You can donate instantly to us online by clicking here, or contact us to arrange for cash or check donations.
Volunteer, organize, and participate
We're always looking for good people, from barely political to very political, and from background helpers to people going out and making the case. We're locally operated and controlled, growing our own base, and do campaigning and events, as well as coordinating with other nearby groups. Just some of the roles: precinct committeepersons (who get to know their neighbors), election judges, and even people who want to run for local, township, county, and state offices, as well as normal volunteers who help us get the word out. Contact us if you want to get involved or just find out about local and Peoria-area events.
Get the announcements
E-mail us to ask about our announcement or volunteer lists, or other opportunuties to meet. We get information about what's going on and when, as well as information on local candidates, and our locally-controlled e-mail list and meetings are a great way to get updated.
Links to political resources
For Democrats, progressives, and recovering Republicans